Sunday 6 October 2013

500 and counting

An early morning seawatch at Cape Spear (the Easterly most point in North America) produced my 500th Newfoundland eBird checklist. Will I submit 5000 by the end of my degree (May/June, 2017)?

The highlights?
-Good looks at Sooty and Great Shearwaters flying North. I don't think I'll ever tire of looking at shearwaters.

-Several Jaegers. Always enjoy any chance I get to study these complicated birds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 1st winter Mediterranean Gull was found in Iceland today. Their first record of that species.

While living in Denmark I did wonder if Mediterranean Gull showed up in Iceland, and if so, if they might ever make it all the way to Newfoundland...

If Iceland can get a Varied Thrush, Mediterranean Gull is certainly possible here along with the many other European birds they get...


Here's a 2nd winter Mediterranean Gull I photographed in Denmark - Nov, 2011:


Aged by the dull red on the inner half of the bill:


Here's an adult with its bright red bill, and black ring - Spain, Oct 2011: