Sunday 10 June 2012

Another 50km

With a max speed of 46km...

This time I was hoping for a Dickcissel that was seen the day before at Grass Lake.

I wasn't the only one hoping to see the bird - at least 4 groups of birders were in the area this morning, likely looking for the same bird. Although none of them saw them, I still had my hopes high.

Well, not surprisingly, I didn't see it. But it was nice being in the area anyway. I wandered around Sudden Tract for the first time - it's probably one of the largest patches of forest in the county so is worth a thorough search for any unusual breeding birds (YT Vireo, Hooded Warblers, and maybe even Cerulean Warbler should all be possible).

At one of my first stops today, a Green Heron perched in a dead tree very close by allowing a lengthy photo shoot. I'll post some more pictures of the same guy this coming week.



The family of Sandhill Cranes was having trouble crossing the fence today - which I suspect is a daily occurrence, unfortunately.



I did another bird survey at the Carden yesterday. Mostly the same birds, a Blue-winged Warbler was my first for that area, eventually they'll probably out number the Golden-winged Warblers. And tons of Black-billed Cuckoos were around...